Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Running for My Life

Last year as I was training for my first 5k, I realized that I had another one scheduled a month later. I took the opportunity and set a goal for myself to run one race per month for 12 months and I did it!


  • April (Actually May 5) Borgess Run for the Health of It: I ran whole thing. I ran slowly but I ran it all!
  • May 23 GOTR Celebration 5k: I ran this one with and for Maggie. She set our pace and it was awesome!
  • June 20 Cheetah Chase at Binder Park Zoo: Maggie came along for this one, too. It was a fun race, very cool to be in the zoo before it opened. It would have been nice to have some water stations on the course, though. this was also the first non-Kalamazoo race. I tell you, I missed Chris Lampen-Crowell's voice!
  • July 4 Volkslauffe in Frankenmuth: This was a long, hot race! Well, not actually any longer than any other official 5k, but the heat and humidity made it feel long! 
  • August 2 Color Run in Grand Rapids: This was so much fun! I was invited last-minute by my running buddy and had a great time. 
  • September 14 Peacock Strut: I trained with Gazelle Sports all summer and it paid off: I PRed this race. It was a lovely early fall morning and a really nice course.
  • October 12 Campus Classic: Somehow the course planner managed to make it 90% uphill an 90% into the sun even with the start and finish at the exact same place. Good run and another PR.
  • November 23 Turkey Trot: Still on campus but a slightly different course. It started snowing and I loved it!
  • December 5 Run Through the Lights: Not actually a full 5k, but so much fun! The whole family joined me and we all dressed in costume. I also won my Run Camp by having the most illuminated costume!
  • January 18 House of Hope: My birthday and Christmas present from my parents was a trip to Florida and I took advantage by running a race that happened to be taking place that weekend! I got to see some lovely residential areas of Panama City and had a great race. It was about 40 degrees and I wore short sleeves and capri pants and was a perfect temperature. All the Florida locals were worried about me being cold, though. All I had to say was, "Michigan," and they understood.
  • February 2 Girls on the Run TuTu run: Again, not officially 5k, but lots of fun! Ran this one with my neighbor and Maggie.
  • March 2 Winter Blast: This was a tough one for me. I was super sleepy for some reason and the snow was really hard to run through. I finished strong, though!


And, the icing on the cake, in May I ran my first 10k!

No comments:

Post a Comment