Monday, May 19, 2014

Making it Memorable

Where do I even start? I've completed my second Run Camp and ran my first 10K and it seems like a good time for reflection. There's so much bouncing around in my head. I need to start somewhere!

The idea of running has been bouncing around in my head since high school but I didn't think I could do it. I had so many terrible elementary school gym teachers that emphasized sports over fitness and I have to say it wasn't one isolated town: I went to school in seven different states during those years. We weren't a sporty or active family. I was never taught to love exercise. Add to that many years of happy marriage, work stress, and a couple of kids and I find myself very out of shape and overweight. I needed to do something.

Running started to pop up everywhere. Bloggers, friends, neighbors: everyone was running. In the fall of 2012, I downloaded a Couch to 5k app and started taking walk/runs. I'd do it after the sun went down so no one could see me. But then I started talking about it and I heard about Run Camp. Some very good friends talked me into signing up. At the orientation meeting, I had a full-on anxiety attack. I was sweating, my heart was racing, I couldn't breathe. I was a mess but I got some good shoes and went to the first official meeting. I was placed into a fabulous team and now I'm a runner. After 3 months of early, snowy Saturday mornings I ran every last step of my first 5K. It was an amazing experience and I'm still running!


No comments:

Post a Comment